Tuesday, March 4, 2008

No More Pride


I've come to the conclusion that as a doxie puppy owner, I no longer have any form of dignity left to me. I have love and puppy kisses in excess, but absolutely no more dignity.
Why? Because I'm a grown woman who will stand in my back yard in the middle of the night repeating one or two phrases. It's either "go poo poo, puppy!" or it's "Good poo poo, puppy!!!" with varying degrees of expectation and urgency. I expect that my closest neighbors seriously question my sanity and my obsession with bowel movements.
Sometimes I have enough time to get fully dressed with a jacket and flashlight. Other times, I might have had to leap out of bed or drop my toothbrush during my "evening toilet" because I notice my 3 month-old uppy searching earnestly for a prime spot on the carpet. This means that I'm either barefoot (trying to avoid slugs or other dog-made piles) or in my underwear (have I mentioned it's winter in Oregon?). I do have a fence around my yard, but I in fact realized yesterday evening that one neighbor's house is so close to the fence that their window overlooks it, right into my yard. Fantastico.
The puppy loves it when I take her outside for her "poo poo". She frolicks around my feet, attacks the cat and spends time digging for dead worms in the grass. Every now and then she'll get my hopes up by pretending to search for a "prime spot" again. If I have my flashlight with me, she likes to play with her shadow, darting and nipping at the darkened grass with a halo of light around her. She's also completely fascinated with a large fern that is probably her "fort" when she plays.
All the while, I wait, and wait. "Go poo poo, puppy!"
And when she does, we're both so excited we can hardly stand it! Me because it's one more step toward potty training. She because she thinks it's the greatest moment ever and she's the princess of the world.
And who's to say she isn't.
-Nicci

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

She looks like she is going to fly!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing you story. I can relate to it as I was unaware my neighbor could see into my yard and I often was out there on the spur of the moment with my dog, training him to go.

It was months later, at a neighborhood party that the neighbor mentioned I might want to put a robe on when I ran outside with my dog. Geez, embarrased or what? Now I make my dog wait while I comb my hair and put on suitable clothing. Guess I should just break down and buy a doggie door.

Anonymous said...

What a unique coloring on your puppy. I'd love to see more photos posted on her.

Anonymous said...

Is she a purebred Dachshund? I've never seen one with such beautiful coloring. Can you post one showing her entire body? Is she ever going to have puppies because if so, I'd love to have one.

Anonymous said...

More pictures of this little girl please. Would love to see what she looks like on all fours. Thanks -

For our fist time bloggers

Greetings,
For anyone who is new to blogs, here are quick instructions on how to post.
Below every post (body of text) there is a small link that says "Comments".
Clicking on "Comments" will take you to a window where you can type a message, post a cute doxie picture/video or link to you own dachshund loving blog or website. It's that easy!